Photo
- - - - -

Why Does God Seem So Nasty In The Bible?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   midnightstar

midnightstar

• Fledgling
  • 5 posts
  • I am:Female
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

In the Bible he seems to be constantly threatening people who don't believe in him with death and damnation in hell, surely a loving God would accept everyone as they are? Particularly as the bible says Jesus died for everyone?

Sorry I just don't understand it.

#2 OFFLINE   Thunderbird

Thunderbird

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 3,211 posts
  • I am:Male
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

I agree I see very different sides of the bible between old and new testaments, I have read and listened to a lot of the old and new testaments and agree there seems to be an angry god in the old. We humans are flawed and always will be, to think we would always worship one god and if not get his vengeance. The Old Testament seems conflict after conflict with those that should worship Yahweh and other names of the lord but many went away from him going away to their older gods like Baal if I remember rightly. The New Testament works so much better for me which I have read and heard probably in full by now, there is elements of forgiveness, love your neighbour, parables of sense and order, this makes sense to me. Jesus I think was a wise soul, he lived, healed, taught, a mystic of old. I see lots I like in him, the old god I do not understand but the son of god I do understand, there is the mystery.

#3 OFFLINE   amyzen

amyzen

Banned

• Banned
  • 680 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

The question that Christians have never answered for me is this - how can you reconcile the angry God of wrath (of the Old Testament) with the God of love (in the New Testament)?   Definite inconsistency/discrepancy there.

#4 OFFLINE   Thunderbird

Thunderbird

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

To me this is a good point Amy, Christianity started with Jesus and his life, although Jesus reflects on the Old Testament writing it his words i think we should listen too and they make a lot of sense to me. I have spent much time on both old and new and there is not a lot in the old testaments I can resonate with except the wisdom of proverbs and some of the books now declared unsuitable like the apocryphal writings now not in bibles, only of some faiths within the church. There is much wisdom of both parts of the bible but I like facts and from many scholars around the globe the New Testament although having variability between some writers of that time I feel is a genuine account of proceedings of the time including all that has been said by Jesus.

#5 OFFLINE   midnightstar

midnightstar

• Fledgling
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

If I remember rightly, the Old Testament is the Jewish belief and the New Testament is the Christian belief (I might have remembered it wrong though)

Personally, I wouldn't want to follow a God who was filled with hatred for the people he created.

#6 OFFLINE   amyzen

amyzen

Banned

• Banned
  • 680 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

Midnightstar   I think the bible is interpreted by who over reads it. Everyone takes different meanings from different biblical events.I am not religious at all ,and i respect all people and all faiths. I am sure there is no negative messages from the Bible.

No negative messages perhaps...but certainly negativity!  In the Old Testament the God of wrath is to be feared.  

I find that oppressive and questionable - like being bullied into loving him.  :-/

It is commonly understood that fear is the opposite of love, hence why I feel there is such a dichotomy between the Old Testament and the New Testament.

#7 OFFLINE   TreeSong

TreeSong

Jay

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,791 posts
  • Locationî

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

Because that's what people made him/her out to be....

Because god was the easy target to pick to excuse people with bad intention to do horrible things...

seeming the bible is a mix of notes that conveniently was changed over and over at least 8 times before they came with the version we know today, people are still dumb enough to follow the words of something that preaches hate and ignorance and discrimination. I don't know about you folks but that's not what i would believe "a god" would consider love and reasoning and compassion.... Did you know that even woman added to the first bible?

And the whole Jesus thing? hmm i think he died for "their" sins.. not mine.. i wasn't even born yet... Yeshua / Jesus died because " his people" wanted him nailed to a cross to die a slow painful death... And once they took his kindness and his compassion and wisdom he so freely shared.. they thanked him with fear and hatred. and if that wasn't enough they took his humanity too.... Yeshua was a kind caring man who believed in the kindness of the people.. that as a people we still had so much to learn and understand... and for this like millions through out history like him is what He had to pay the price for.

Don't blame a god or the wisdom of the pasts just because some power hungry control freaks seemed to enforce there way of interpretations on a religion... - people knew this before the bible even existed...

It's kinda like politics in a way..when an old government doesn't do the job write people curse the day they got elected to rule.. so they scream out for justice and better leadership. So a new government has taken the old ones place and people are happy .. but in the end they start there little angry trip all over again.  When a good thing has been done by them.. they don't say great job.. no they say : that's there Job to do good.. but when they do something wrong its : we want a new leader again all over.... humanity is so young and naive as a species...

:busy: "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".

- Winston Churchill  

#8 OFFLINE   InTheMoment

InTheMoment

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,657 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

Personally have read the bible from a young age and I have struggled with the differences between the old and the new but the more I study and read the more I understand. People tend to focus on the negative and magnify it by 99 percent and then miss all the good with in it. I used to seperate the old and new but learning the background and custumes also learning that even though there seems to always be an angry god the same God still is forgiving and patient and wants his people to live in peace. In the old testament there seems to be a lot of culture and rules that are written within scripture. Thinking that the old testament is like a written history of peoples struggles through those times. Also the influence of culture at the time these stories were written. I agree with treesong that people are the ones that created this angry God and also wanted to place blame somewhere else besides themselves. Let's face it people acted like animals. The violence. The history of violence says a lot. So of course they would reflect that onto something else. I think its all on the persons perspective how they perceive God that idea is reflected through the stories in the bible. New testament people focus on. There always seems to be this good cop and bad cop. Good and evil. And so forth. All different depending on how you look at it. Now a days though the split seems not as big. People are starting to realize what truly is important in this world. john lennon imagine. that is how I personally feel. :D

Sent from my SGH-I827D using Tapatalk 2

A little bit of meditation goes a long way !!!

#9 OFFLINE   zyx

zyx

Im now a star poster

• Star Poster
  • 965 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

What if God had an ego problem.....which it certainly seems like in some scriptures.

#10 OFFLINE   normy

normy

Im now a VIP around here

• VIP
  • 457 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

For me, the Old and New Testaments make a lot more sense when they are interpreted  as histories of psychic and spiritual events occurring through various mediums, as was outlined in books by Rev. Maurice Elliott in the 1930's.  He said, "  The Bible is a continuous record of psychic manifestation. Today we are still living under the tyranny of the petrified orthodoxies. Bishops, priests, and churches believe that revelation is closed and that no further light and inspiration can be received.' 

Things haven't changed much since 1938.  :boredom:

#11 OFFLINE   Echoes

Echoes

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 4,102 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Don't get me wrong,I do believe god exists,but I do not believe in the bible,to me the ten commandments are like a way of controlling people,a bit like the government of the time,I am not suggesting we go against it and start killing,lieing or stealing e.t.c.because that would be morally wrong.

The churches I do not attend,after all god is everywhere so you can pray wherever you want and he will hear you.

But to me the worst thing of all is if religon is supposed to be good and peaceful,then why has it created some wars,I don't see the connection between love and peace and killing and torturing, :-/

#12 OFFLINE   Thunderbird

Thunderbird

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

I have always thought the new testament and old should have remained separate books. I have a lot of issues about the old testament but there is wisdom to be found and love there too, wisdom in proverbs and the song of songs is a beautiful piece of writing. The new testament is all about teaching, healing, a new way of life, care for others and forgiveness. I see sprirituality in the new testament and the writings of Jesus, not religion, the old testament I see rules, wars and to a certain extent a wrathful God.

#13 OFFLINE   Jazz

Jazz

Im now a VIP around here

• VIP
  • 386 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

There is some debate over who wrote the various parts of the Bible and I know some have questioned whether the parts in which God seems unkind were written by certain Christians as a way of gaining some sort of control over other followers...in a do-what-this-book[meaning them]-says-or-God-will-do-this-horrid-thing-to-you kind of way.

I hope I don't offend any Christians by saying that as it's just a theory.

Love and light xxx

:heart: www.speakingwithangels.moonfruit.com :heart:

:heart: www.facebook.com/speakingwithangels  :heart:

#14 OFFLINE   quango

quango

Trusted

• 33 posts
  • LocationSouth West England

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

The New Testament has been edited and re edited countless times over the Centuries by scholars in order to keep some degree of control over the masses. It was a bit of a PR exercise for the church to maintain their grip on the people most of whom couldn't read or write. If you genuinely fear the consequences of stepping out of line then you stay on the straight and narrow.

Back in the good old days, the power in the world was with the papacy with world leaders fearing the influence that they exerted over their subjects. A lot of fearing back then and mainly to do with Religion.

The bible was used to fuel that fear and ensure that the church remained top dog within its sphere of influence.

This is just my own view and I don't mean to insult anyone by what I say.

#15 OFFLINE   Echoes

Echoes

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 4,102 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

Didn't they find a stone tablet that was supposed to be written by Jesus himself,and the church hushed it up,I remeber part of it read ...God is all around you,not just in buildings made of stone......it said something like that. :kiss:

#16 OFFLINE   Timbo

Timbo

Im now a VIP around here

• VIP
  • 329 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

As light pervades the earth so shall we all be at one within this union.

#17 OFFLINE   zyx

zyx

Im now a star poster

• Star Poster
  • 965 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

The bible is a copycat version of the Sumerian's accounts of creation, life and the "visitors" that came to them.

#18 OFFLINE   Sunny

Sunny

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

The bible is written by man.. And tells of stories that were passed by word of mouth and you know how Chinese whispers go..

I do beleive the story of Jesus walking in water was about the Dead Sea which has so much salt in it you can float unaided.. So a story that has been added to..

God/goddess.. Allah.. Ect.. We all want to beleive in something.. And those that don't beleive in .god at all.. I have found at great times of stress ask for gods help..

It is our right to beleive what we want to.. I beleive.. That god is within us.. That we are god and we write our own stories before we come here.. I do beleive there is a .god.. Or higher source and I beleive we are all one..

As to the question about whether god is nasty ... No.. Like all spirit he only has pure love for us all.. After all we are a part of him.. We have our life lessons.. Not all is happy days.. But we grow from it and in doing so can help others in a similar position later on in life because we have some knowledge of it.. Xxx
The best and most beautiful things in the world... cannot be seen or even touched ...they must be felt with the heart...

#19 OFFLINE   Sunny

Sunny

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

Ahahahaha I like it :-)

Xxx
The best and most beautiful things in the world... cannot be seen or even touched ...they must be felt with the heart...

#20 OFFLINE   kally

kally

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 4,748 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

:ggle:

“Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.” Albert Einstein

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 31 user(s)