#1 OFFLINE   Wingman

Wingman

need some sunshine

• Advisor
  • 4,812 posts
  • I am:Male
  • LocationLeyland UK

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

After being on facebook for a few days and getting a few items of feedback from people on facebook about us here, ive decided to try, for want of a better word, "dumbing down" S.C. to try and make it easier for people to get to grips with, But how best to do that..

Im thinking about making the forums smaller, having less categories, make it a bit more streamline or even getting rid of some subjects altogether by lumping them in the same mix. Unfortunately i cant make this site into one giant wall of nonsence like facebook does, but im sure i can simplify the site, get it down to the bare minimum.

Whats your thoughts on this though,,,, If any.....

Every day in every moment,
you make the choice...
whether to love and harness the positive force.
or not.

Get your own DropBox ...... free and easy online photo editor..   My Youtube Channel

#2 OFFLINE   InTheMoment

InTheMoment

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,657 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

I am a daily user of Facebook. Cough cough check it all the time. In my personal opinion I think it's up to you to tinker around with the site as you see fit. Considering you are the brains of making the site work along with Claire. I know just my time here there has been lots of changes. Both in members and in the site itself. Stream lining subjects and lumping in the mix sounds like an idea my concern would be the private member section how would that work? Another thought as well if you simplify the site get it down to the minimum that would be easier for up keeping on your part but also maybe attract more members? More traffic is that your goal? Just throwing random thoughts out there. If SC was more set up like Facebook. Would that get me to visit more often? And be more of a pest? Not sure lol. ;)

Thinking and attempting to achieve to live in the moment is the best way to find peace of mind!

A little bit of meditation goes a long way !!!

#3 OFFLINE   Wingman

Wingman

need some sunshine

• Advisor
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationLeyland UK

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:22 AM

thanks for the feedback, private forum would remain the same i think, no big changes there....

so you are a big facebook user, you might want to check this out then

https://www.facebook...s/spiritcharms/

you make the choice...
or not.

Get your own DropBox ...... free and easy online photo editor..   My Youtube Channel

#4 OFFLINE   kally

kally

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 4,748 posts
  • I am:Female
  • Locationuk

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:39 AM

i'm not a big fan of Facebook...i could take or leave it,..which i do often. Have been thinking of de-activating  again as people assume as you've an account, all contact is made thru' there.... i just barely know the basics of it....gets on me tits if i'm honest! 

i hope this doesn't become an extension of it...or a mini fb......but that's just me :)

“Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.” Albert Einstein

#5 OFFLINE   Wingman

Wingman

need some sunshine

• Advisor
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationLeyland UK

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

Actually Facebook as a piece of software is extraordinary clever,, it must have cost them more money to develop than we will see in 2 lifetimes. Its been designed so users have very little to do, but just enough to do to make it scientifically addictive, which is why people can't function without it.. Just like a drug.. Now that's clever for software, I'm clever but nowhere near that clever so no we won't become a mini Facebook.

Gets on my tits too to be honest but the thing that Facebook as done, the damage its done to peoples attention span and concentration levels means that sites like ours which takes a bit of effort to Get the most out of, and a bit of thought in content posting, people get bored and find it too hard. This is a comment I had from a member on our Facebook group, spiritcharms is too complicated and takes too much time to Get into compared to Facebook. They said. So this got me thinking, I need to make this site more simple so this Facebook mentality doesn't scare people off, its just too much effort it seems now.
My analogy of S.C and Facebook is this.. S.C takes thought and takes caring of the words that get posted, Facebook by comparison is like a drive by shooting, but this is what people seem to want now, or in a phrase dumbing down.

But this is why Facebook employ psychologists and have recently admitted to doing a big phyco test on it users to see if they could alter people moods by exposing them to certain things in a Mass mind control experiment. How can anyone hope to succeed against that sort of George Orwellien 1984 control over the masses.

Can you imagine if i put up a post and told you over the last twelve months ive been selling off all your photos and personal information to advertisers, i let governments and law agencies have free access to the database so it can spy on you and i put cookies on your computer that tells me every site you visit and what you have been doing while you were away from here. I would be shut down in a week and probably prosecuted under UK law of data protection act.. but this is what facebook does apparently if you believe sources like Edward snowden but People are so addicted to facebook that this is ok with them ....

Reminds me of my smoking habit, i know its stupid, i know i shouldn't do it, i know its killing me i know it will shorten my life so what do i do, make excuses to why im still doing it and wish every single day that i could just stop but never do.. but thats the nature of addiction... worlds gone mad...

Think this topic is going off topic somewhat...... Soz, my fault.... gets under my skin this though, i was the same some years ago when i and many other people were into selling stuff on the internet, then along came the monolopy play.com, Amazon and Ebay and put everybody out of business cos they didnt stand a chance...  :busy:

you make the choice...
or not.

#6 OFFLINE   InTheMoment

InTheMoment

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,657 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:50 AM

The experiment they did pretty much proves that we effect each other. Whether it be negative or positive. That just shows all of us that we can effect the world by our thoughts and opinions. We also effect other people. On Facebook, texting , emailing, or. How we talk to others. How we interact with each other. We all have the power to create. Spiritcharms will never become like Facebook but I do believe that SC is a very unique site. Nothing will change that. It's a good idea to tinker though... There were times I did not like some of the changes to the site in the past but I do know it's always evolving...

Thinking and attempting to achieve to live in the moment is the best way to find peace of mind!

A little bit of meditation goes a long way !!!

#7 OFFLINE   Thunderbird

Thunderbird

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

Why should sc be trying to compete in some way with fb, sc is an incredibly easy site to navigate, this is through your efforts over the years to fine tune it, if you want to find something simply type it in the search as a keyword, the different forums within sc make it easy to find all the different categories very easily, it's possible you could group things together but I think that will spoil it, the very reason I like charms is it's uniqueness, that the fact there are all the different things to look at. Frankly I amazed that anyone on fb could say sc was too difficult. For my part here sc is perfect just the way it is, of course your the boss and if you feel like it needs to be simpler then go ahead. Anything worth doing requires some mind power whether learning to ride a bike or play a musical instrument, the problem with fb from what I can deduce and from what you have written is folks on there just dip in and out with no attention span. Leave charms alone is my humble opinion!

#8 OFFLINE   Stormfaerie

Stormfaerie

Still Awake

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

are you trying to make spiritcharms simpler? If so, I would recommend sub-categories. As in putting the categories under one major category, for example Divination there are many branches linked with divination even crystals and stones could go within that so you would have more space out on the rest of the board rather than having it all in one mapped out focus, just organization of the categories a bit more. But as it stands its ok.... and this is only a suggestion. don't need to take it on board or well do as you will with it.  You don't have to compete with fb to be honest, you've got a flair/charm on here all by itself. Use that charm to its fullest and be different is what I'd suggest don't go with the norms that use fb as its a completely different context..in terms of social network. Personally I need to spend more time off of fb if I'm honest as spend way too much time on it. Where fb is concerned you can either go against or work with it to utilize it to your full advantage, I'd recommend the working with ;) As there are other things that can get your word out that you have a forum on the street a bit more. Maybe bring in a few new user(s) too as there aren't a lot of good forums out there I know of two bigger forums recently that have closed down so this ? Well as corny as it sounds but I'd say this is your time to shine... just my two cents-worth of thought(s).

#9 OFFLINE   kally

kally

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 4,748 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

i find Fb complicated..ok if i just stick with the newsfeed is ir?   it's mainly for keeping up with my nieces who are travelling.

I can manage my way round charms lol...but i am on pc...would probably miss or give up if i were on a phone or somesuch gadget ...so to be fair, i don't know what i'm talking about and i'll leave you good people to get back to the main post :ggle:

“Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.” Albert Einstein

#10 OFFLINE   Wingman

Wingman

need some sunshine

• Advisor
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationLeyland UK

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

Yes its about making it simpler really, somebody mentioned we were too complicated and it was too slow a process to get into quickly.
You see the thing with Facebook, its got so many members and so little input needed by users that its really self containing. Facebook functions on the like button really and people. Know this so users don't bother putting any quality content, its basically an extension of twitter with its one line input in the hope that it gets liked. Its a big game, nothing of real quality. Forums though don't function like this, a forum is nothing without quality content and relationships and interaction between users which keeps the flow going. This is why when you go on any forum for some time you feel connected to the people you talk to, they feel like real friends even if you have never seen them in the real world, it makes no difference. This stuff is so powerful that I've experienced it in real life when I got spotted by a spirit charms member in tesco one day, her husband must have thought she had gone mad cos she was pulling on his arm saying " look omg its wingman" like I was some pop star or summat.. Which was a very strange experience for me. Lol point is this is what makes this sort of stuff special, a proper connection with people. Non of this can happen though without the right platform and the right interaction between members.. So somehow I have to make it easier to help this happen specially with people who are used to the empty interactions on Facebook. Its strange really, for me at least, Facebook actually makes me feel more distance from people, even the ones I know in real life, just doesn't feel the same, so trying to get the balance right is going to be difficult.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

you make the choice...
or not.

#11 OFFLINE   OvhBillin

OvhBillin

Jay

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,788 posts
  • Locationî

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

:busy: im still thinking... :heat:

:busy: "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".

- Winston Churchill  

#12 OFFLINE   Thunderbird

Thunderbird

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

I am puzzled about being complicated and too slow a process to get into quickly, was this one person or a good number that you have talked to, I still don't get it! What is complicated about charms? Is is it more members you are seeking, I am not sure why you are trying to compare Facebook with charms they are like chalk and cheese. You are absolutely right about a forum like this, I really do feel a connection to people here even though I cannot see them, there is a spiritual tie, this is through the posts, when you post a dream for instance this is a very personal thing and yet we all feel happy to share and try and understand from others what it's all about, we share the sadness, happiness and spirit. There could be a simplification like cinnabelle suggested of having subcategories like the file manager on your PC, this would make the overall appearance a little simpler but still have the same content but any big changes just to compete in some way with Facebook would be a mistake. It's not about numbers it's about quality. I personally don't know the addiction people talk about on Facebook, to me as you have suggested it's like big brother looking over your shoulder finding all about you, this is why I have no interest in it and never will, a forum is different it's like a family who cares.

#13 OFFLINE   OvhBillin

OvhBillin

Jay

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,788 posts
  • Locationî

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

What it comes down to is: no this isn't FB. But Facebook ain't spiritcharms either.

If changes should happen, than do what you feel is right. I don't much against Facebook to be honest... i have most of my family far away from me and Facebook keeps us in touch. In the end it's your own choices that determent's how you choose to use any site. I find SpiritCharms to be a unique site. It's unlike any spiritual based forum/site I've seen. And though change can be a good thing, it's why and how you choose to change that will define how you feel about the outcome. And even if you would change topics and boards around some, the other part is the members too. I find my self being so busy and not much really to write about. But when i do, i should try and put more effort into writing about stuff at the moments i feel i am thinking about thinks. Perhaps that be something i can do on my part.

Simpler? hmm maybe... But if it stayed the same i be just as happy too :)

- Winston Churchill  

#14 OFFLINE   Wingman

Wingman

need some sunshine

• Advisor
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationLeyland UK

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Not trying to compare with facebook, its impossible to do that as facebook is unique and even the big guns like Google try to match up with facebook with its G+ and are failing miserably and if they cant manage it, then no one can,,

Its just that facebook has left expectations with people of how things should function. what i call very simplistic, you stick a few lines up or post a picture or video, if you are lucky somebody will comment on it but its not obligatory, mostly you will get a like and then they are off to the next one.. its easy and lazy and doesnt take any effort at all.. which is great for facebook but forums like these simply cant survive on that sort of input and become dead very quickly. which is what has happened to us recently. which is the reason for this soul searching for us,

The last thing we wanted to happen is to feel we are wasting our time and energy on S.C when its all but dead in the water. and by making a spiritcharms group on facebook ive learnt a lot... like members who used to come on here and were very active but dont anymore who we just imagined are really busy in real life so cant find the time are actually spending all day sat on facebook. which is fine its a free country (sort of if you believe the propaganda ) but to be honest and theres no point not being at this point, we do feel hurt, offended by the lack of loyalty and the fact that its obviously killing the site dead to a point where we are contemplating shutting down.
Facebook is just a game run by a billionaire who sees its members as revenue, a commodity to make him even richer, he couldn't care less if you lived or died, we on the other hand try to make a decent and respectful community, we wont even run ads to make money off anybody, this is a labour of love, a love for the idea that we are all one, we are all equal and share the responsibility for each other and are their for each other. a true loving spiritual community which in my experience is very hard to find, if impossible in my experience anyway...

Might sound a bit drama queenish, but when you genuinely care about something, genuinely care about the people in something we have all created together, something good, something special, when you see it dying and you find yourself desperately scrabbling about trying to find a way to breath life back into it before its too late and having to admit after all this time, i dont have a clue what people actually want anymore  you just get to the point where you think.... sod it then.

(sorry Yorkshire bloke.... we do tend to speak as we find specially when he's been on the night shift :ggle: )

you make the choice...
or not.

#15 Guest_GlitterBug_*

Guest_GlitterBug_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

Sorry that Ive been quiet recently, thats purely down to technical issues at home. I love this place, and would be really sad to see it go. I dont think anything needs changing, I love it just the way it is. I like that it is different from FB, Ive been on FB a lot longer than I have been a member here, and I dont recall really making any good friends through FB, but that is a completely different story to here, I have made so many friends here, real friends and I am so thankful for that, and this is such a great platform not just for making friends but the knowledge and support I have gained spiritually here have been so valuable to me on my path. I think its one of those things that can get taken for granted sometimes, that it will just always be here, but now everyone is aware that as we need to maintain a certain level of activity to keep this wonderful place alive, I think things will start picking up again. 

GB x :heart:

#16 OFFLINE   OvhBillin

OvhBillin

Jay

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,788 posts
  • Locationî

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

okay so just some thoughts about the suggestion part should you choose to change things: i think most of the topics can be put under these prime topics. like birthdays could be under latest news and video hotspot under general topics.. but its just a thought though. :)

• Forum Information and Latest News and Updates.  
  • New members, don't be shy. introduce your self here
  • General
  • All things Spiritual
  • Religion, faiths and cultures
  • Healing discussions.
  • Symbology, Coincidence, Synchronicity, Serendipity
  • Click to Visit Spiritfreedom website

- Winston Churchill  

#17 OFFLINE   Thunderbird

Thunderbird

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

Sadly wingman this has happened to a good few websites, I also write on a science based site which has run about twice as long as charms, at one point it got many hundreds of thousands of hits per month but now it's much lower than this. I haven't been on spiritcharms long enough to know how it was say four or five years ago regarding posts and members, I joined last year as you know but say even in March last year for instance I can't remember if things have slowed that much. I am a little disappointed in what appears to be a flurry of new people joining over the months but except for saying hello some seem to disappear, may be it's the archive they like to browse but I agree you have to have a certain amount of posts per day to keep that special vibe. I do remember only shortly after I joined there was the brilliant interaction between saraseeker and richaang and several others who helped me so much on my first teetering steps, I literally went from feeling like a spiritual albertross and finding lots of folks who could help. I hope it continues but do understand your thoughts.

#18 OFFLINE   Spiritlove

Spiritlove

Spiritual Medium

• Advisor
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationLancashire

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

Youve missed the readings section out treesong :) lol

Well i havent really much to write as you know because me and stephen have been discussing these things together, so theres no need to air my views as they are very much the same as stephen's :) just he has the 'tell it as it is yorkshire bloke thingy in him!' And does a much better job than me explaining my wafflings!

Although i would like to add that spiritcharms is easy to get around although i do admit that sometimes arent sure which topic goes into which catergory, but thats not an issue really and something that can just be tweeked about. But as far as finding topics like seriphos has pointed out and like i did to one member this week on their status update, you just type in a keyword of what you are looking for in the search box at the top right hand side of the home page, and it will bring all the topics up with that keyword in it, more often than not there are a few pages, so dont forget to scroll through those.

Im not a facebook fan either and feel like i cant type indepth posts on there, its good for linking and advertising now and again and the odd group relating to local carers etc but anything more than that, i feel i cant trust it as i dont know where my information is going. Where as on SC, i know if i want anythung private and not in the public domain, then i post in the private members section as that doesnt go into google.
Also i like the old fashioned way of things, forums.
NEW offering Handcrafted Gifts, cards, jewellery and other gifts all handmade by me Stone Rainbow , you can visit one of my sites here www.facebook.com/stonerainbowcreations or check out my eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/stone_rainbow/m.html?item=112594491814&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Please also contact me for details if you are interested.

#19 OFFLINE   OvhBillin

OvhBillin

Jay

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,788 posts
  • Locationî

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

I do have one question though...just a curiosity really. Why do we have a members website board when we can all share our websites link on our profiles? thats it...

@Claire: OMG's your right i forgot the readings section.... guess i should have read into that more LOL

- In case folks are wonder where to find the search bar: Its on top of the page on the right side of your name.

1520722_10202577607580895_64671517786187

- Winston Churchill  

#20 OFFLINE   DreamsInSpace

DreamsInSpace

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Can I ask why the like button was taken down as i quite liked the like button  :ggle:

I personally feel Spirit Charms is a very simple site to use.. I personally feel subcategories make it more complicated as you then have to guess which topic would have the subcategory in that you want. I like how its lain out, and how you can see exactly what you're looking for without having to double click, guess and find what it is you are looking for. Spirit Charms is the best spiritual forum i have been on both community and lay out wise, and no that's not a joke. I had searched for the perfect forum for a long time and this is by far the best, and the simplest in terms of forums and the one I have felt most comfortable posting and felt to be the simpler option too (less complicated). I like how everything is lain out, how i don't have to click and click to find where i want to go, and how i already know where everything is, in big writing down the left side column. 

One thing though, the status button, that is a bit difficult to find for a newbie and still brings confusion for me sometimes. As on Facebook status option is very visible and clear, you could somehow make this an option on the front page rather than clicking your account name for that to appear. Apart from that, nothing on Spirit Charms is complicated in my opinion especially compared to other forums and I quite like the layout.  :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 14 user(s)