#1 OFFLINE   Spiritlove

Spiritlove

Spiritual Medium

• Advisor
  • 11,251 posts
  • I am:Female
  • LocationLancashire

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

Is this the new Earth? Astronomers discover planet just 20 light years away with similar atmosphere and gravity which has '100% chance of life' - and may contain water

* Planet's gravity means a human could walk on the surface
* Highest average temperature is -12C - cold but survivable
* Scientists say incredible discovery points to universe full of Earth-like planets

The chances that future generations will one day colonise the stars have just got higher.

Astronomers tonight announced the discovery of the most Earth-like planet ever found - a rocky world three times the size of our own world, orbiting a star 20 light years away..

The planet lies in the star's 'Goldilocks zone' - the region in space where conditions are neither too hot or too cold for liquid water to form oceans, lakes and rivers.

Attached File  planet1.jpg   28.97KB   9 downloads

This artist's conception shows the inner four planets of the Gliese 581 system and their host star, a red dwarf star only 20 light years away from Earth. The four tiny planets in the background are the planets that have already been discovered. The closer, blue and green planet is 581G, the most Earth-like planet ever discovered

The planet also appears to have an atmosphere, a gravity like our own and could well be capable of life.

The discovery comes three years after astronomers found a similar, slightly less habitable planet around the same star - described by astronomers as being 'in our backyard' in the Milky Way.

Researchers say the findings suggest the universe is teeming with world like our own.

'If these are rare, we shouldn't have found one so quickly and so nearby,' Dr Steven Vogt who led the study at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

'The number of systems with potentially habitable planets is probably on the order of 10 or 20 per cent, and when you multiply that by the hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way, that's a large number. There could be tens of billions of these systems in our galaxy.'
GLIESE 581g FACT FILE

* Diameter - 1.2 to 1.4 times that of the Earth
* Mass - 3.1 and 4.3 times that of the Earth
* Average surface temperature - between -24F and 10F (-31C and -12C)
* Distance from the Earth - 20 light years or 118,000,000,000,000 miles
* Time needed to travel to Gliese 581g in a rocket travelling one tenth the speed of light, or 19,000 miles per second - 200 years
* One of six planets to orbit the star Gliese 581
* Length of year - 37 Earth days
* Gravity - similar or slightly higher than Earth
* Distance from its sun - around six million miles
* The planet orbits a red dwarf which is 50 times cooler and a third the size of our Sun
* Composition - rocky with liquid water and atmosphere.

He told Discovery News: 'Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can, I would say that the chances for life on this planet are 100 percent. I have almost no doubt about it'.

The planet is so far away, spaceships travelling close to the speed of light would take 20 years to make the journey. If a rocket was one day able to travel at a tenth of the speed of light, it would take 200 years to make the journey.

Planets orbiting distant stars are too small to be seen by telescopes. Instead, astronomers look for tell-tale gravitational wobbles in the stars that show a planet is in orbit.

The findings come from 11 years of observations at the W. M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii.

The planet orbits a small red star called Gliese 581 in the constellation of Libra. The planet, named Glieseg, is 118,000,000,000,000 miles away - so far away that light from its start takes 20 years to reach the Earth.

It takes just 37 days to orbit its sun which means its seasons last for just a few days. One side of the planet always faces its star and basks in perpetual daylight, while the other is in perpetual darkness.

The most suitable place for life or future human colonists would be in the 'grey' zone - the band between darkness and light that circles the planet.

'Any emerging life forms would have a wide range of stable climates to choose from and to evolve around, depending on their longitude,' said Dr Vogt who reports the find in the Astrophysical Journal.

If Gliese 581g has a rocky composition similar to the Earth's, its diameter would be about 1.2 to 1.4 times that of the Earth. It's gravity is likely to be similar - allowing a human astronaut to walk on the surface upright without difficulty.

'This planet doesn't have days and nights. Wherever you are on this planet, the sun is in the same position all the time. You have very stable zones where the ecosystem stays the same temperature... basically forever,' Vogt said.

Attached File  gliese.jpg   29.18KB   10 downloads

Gliese 581, the brightest object in this Nasa image from 2007, is only 20 light years from Earth and is one of our nearest neighbours

'If life can evolve, it's going to have billions and billions of years to adapt to the surface. Given the ubiquity of water, it seems probable that this thing actually has liquid water. On the surface of the Earth, everywhere you have liquid water you have life,' Vogt added.

Astronomers have now found six planets in orbit around Gliese 581 - the most discovered in a planetary system other than our own solar system.

Like the solar system, the planets orbiting Gliese 581 have mostly circular orbits.

Two of its detected planets have previously been proposed as habitable planets. However they lie at the extremes of the Goldilocks Zone - one on the hot side, the other on the cold side.

Gliese 581g, in contrast, lies right in the middle.

The star has not been given a proper name. It appears in a catalogue of stars compiled by the German astronomer William Gliese where it has been given the reference number 581.

Astronomers name planets found orbiting stars with a letter.

The previous five planets found around Gliese 581 were named b to f, making the latest discovery Gliese 581g.

Its star is a red giant - a massive star near the end of its life. It is too dim to see in the night sky from Earth without a telescope.

Astronomers have found nearly 500 exoplanets - or planets outside our own solar system.

However, almost all are too big, made of gas instead of rock, too hot or too cold for life as we know it.

Attached File  earth.jpg   50.88KB   9 downloads

The orbits of planets in the Gliese 581 system are compared to those of our own solar system. The Gliese 581 star has about 30% the mass of our sun, and the outermost planet is closer to its star than we are to the sun. The 4th planet, G, is a planet that could sustain life.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"> type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390">
NEW offering Handcrafted Gifts, cards, jewellery and other gifts all handmade by me Stone Rainbow , you can visit one of my sites here www.facebook.com/stonerainbowcreations or check out my eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/stone_rainbow/m.html?item=112594491814&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Please also contact me for details if you are interested.

#2 OFFLINE   Wingman

Wingman

need some sunshine

• Advisor
  • 4,812 posts
  • I am:Male
  • LocationLeyland UK

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

very interesting find this planet, ive heard of the gliese system before and speculation that there could be an earth like planet but these scientist do talk a lot of rubbish....

ONLY 20 light years away..

Have ya any idea how far that is.. well lets put it this way, you wouldn't want to walk it... :ggle:

There are two problems getting there...

firstly to get there in the shortest time (20 years) you have to travel at the speed of light

First problem is US, the human being. The human being is made of protons and cells. and the proton contains energy and this proton energy has a rest mass, the speed of light can only be obtained by a mass that has no rest mass, so as the space ship accelerated to the speed of light the human protons would vapourize, and so everybody on the ship would vanish into a puff of nothing. Humans cant travel at the speed light,

(and this is the same reason i dont believe in aliens visiting us, all living things have cells, aliens or not)

So forget about the speed of light, lets get there just going fast, say the speed of sound, which is fast..... (the time it takes for somebody to say something and you hear it), instant to us that... ok forget that, lets travel at mach3 (3 times the speed of sound, this can be done because the spy plane blackbird can do that) and no doubt other supersonic jets can too, so its fast init.... Now we wont go into G forces and how pilots who go that fast train for a long time and are super fit and how these G forces would effect the average untrained person, let alone children who might be on this mythical ship., forget all that..

so how long would it take to travel that far 20 light years at 3 times the speed of sound.....

Well the latest estimates is 20,000 years :scared:

So you'd best take a flask and some sandwiches :ggle:

The real question is, are humans capable of developing a power source capable of producing at least 1 tenth the speed of light, (without some government wanting to turn it into a weapon and blowing us all up) not to mention some form of star trek like sleep stasis module needed to put everybody in limbo for 200 years (at 1 tenth the speed of light)..

Personally i dont think so, this planet has to shift its focus from greed and oneupmanship as each country develops its technology, to a planet in unity to benefit all mankind, and for me, that is never going to happen..

Every day in every moment,
you make the choice...
whether to love and harness the positive force.
or not.

Get your own DropBox ...... free and easy online photo editor..   My Youtube Channel

#3 OFFLINE   Joanie

Joanie

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,451 posts
  • Locationbedfordshire

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

Looks like it might be livable! Similiar to earth.

Temp no more than 15 degrees at the most.
no difference between night and day.

AND takes 300 years to get there!

Um? Don't quite fancy a holiday there.............
:unsure:
Joanie xx

#4 OFFLINE   Wingman

Wingman

need some sunshine

• Advisor
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationLeyland UK

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:37 PM

Well the thing is, for humankind to survive, it must eventually leave this planet...

For those that dont know this, the sun will eventually die, and as it dies it will turn into a red giant, and be 2000 times more luminous than it is now, and 100 times larger, so literally the earth will fry and not be capable of sustaining life in any form, Earth will become, if you like, the next Mars..

There is another scenario floating about the scientific world too, that is if the sun loses its mass as it dies before it gets too big, then the Earth will freeze instead, So Earth will become the next Neptune, either way we are buggered :unsure:

This wont happen for another 3 to 7 billion years, so you've time to put the kettle on

but the earth wont last forever because of this, so we need to vacate at some point if we want to survive....

:agree:

you make the choice...
or not.

Get your own DropBox ...... free and easy online photo editor..   My Youtube Channel

#5 OFFLINE   Joanie

Joanie

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,451 posts
  • Locationbedfordshire

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

Was i talking about the same planet?

Only caught the tail end of the program.

Wondered where my post had gone.

:lol:
Joanie xx

#6 OFFLINE   Wingman

Wingman

need some sunshine

• Advisor
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationLeyland UK

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

yes its the same planet, big news at the moment :agree:

True what you say though, sounds rubbish, day and night is the same, the weather stays the same forever. No more april showers and snowy Christmas days..... Just daylight all the time... forever....

a year is only 37 days long
a season only a few days.

one part of the planet is in constant daylight, the other in constant darkness,

would drive me barmy living on a planet like that

:proud:

you make the choice...
or not.

#7 OFFLINE   Joanie

Joanie

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,451 posts
  • Locationbedfordshire

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

It is obvious,Stephen that the powers to be are looking for new territory to move the future population to in hundreds of years time.
Joanie x

#8 OFFLINE   InTheMoment

InTheMoment

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,657 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:49 AM

None of really know not even scientists. It is so far away who really knows what it is or even if the planet is still there or not.

The farther you go into space, the earlier in time your going. The light we receive is light from many moons ago. So who knows that what we are seeing is truly there.

As far as my personal beliefs. I believe our universe )( universes are so huge, big and unlimited that there is no telling how many different types of life forms are out there.

I would like to believe that universes are not just empty planets and void of anything. but filled with life that we can actually recognize or not recognize at all.

A little bit of meditation goes a long way !!!

#9 OFFLINE   Joanie

Joanie

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,451 posts
  • Locationbedfordshire

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:23 AM

Now that is something I never knew,Joe.
'The farther we go in space,the earlier it is.'
I love these small bits of info,so interesting.
I too believe that there are other planets with life on them.
We couldn't possibly be the only life force in this universe.
Joanie x

#10 OFFLINE   Star

Star

Im now a VIP around here

• VIP
  • 198 posts
  • LocationReading

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

I dont actually like to think about it:ooops: its scares the life out of me........just makes me think of those horrible films made,forgot the names lol:smkbot:

At least i wont be around or my kiddies :blink:

Scary.

Star.x
Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

#11 OFFLINE   InTheMoment

InTheMoment

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,657 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

War of the Worlds...

The thing is I would think just like you have good and bad, and etc here... As we recognize it.

I would assume that there would be good and bad in all civilizations. Just because we might not know it or understand things does not, nor should it make it scary for us.

There is probably amazing, amazing stories and help from ones that are just here to help for our peace and progress not necessarily for our bodies and making new babies lol... Just had to say that. :angelhug:

#12 OFFLINE   Joanie

Joanie

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,451 posts
  • Locationbedfordshire

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

I wonder if they know about us? Feel the same about us as we feel about them?
Makes me think.
:blink:

Joanie
x

#13 OFFLINE   Spiritlove

Spiritlove

Spiritual Medium

• Advisor
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationLancashire

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

They are probably scared to death of us lot, i know i would be!! LOL :agree:
NEW offering Handcrafted Gifts, cards, jewellery and other gifts all handmade by me Stone Rainbow , you can visit one of my sites here www.facebook.com/stonerainbowcreations or check out my eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/stone_rainbow/m.html?item=112594491814&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

#14 OFFLINE   Joanie

Joanie

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,451 posts
  • Locationbedfordshire

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

Probably think the same as us.
Think we are little green men about 2 ft high.
:rofl:
Joanie xx

#15 OFFLINE   Spiritlove

Spiritlove

Spiritual Medium

• Advisor
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationLancashire

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

Joanie xx

then they wouldnt be far off for some of us would they! :rofl:

#16 OFFLINE   Joanie

Joanie

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,451 posts
  • Locationbedfordshire

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

Joanie xx

then they wouldnt be far off for some of us would they! :rofl:

Checks what colour I am in the mirror!
:s
Joanie xx

#17 OFFLINE   Star

Star

Im now a VIP around here

• VIP
  • 198 posts
  • LocationReading

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

Not sure wot the films are called.....could be war of worlds...... just what my kiddies have watched on the Earth ending...and fire balls....just a scary thought<_<...........
Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

#18 OFFLINE   Leahfox

Leahfox

Im now a VIP around here

• VIP
  • 262 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire UK

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

maybe they are here already.
;-)
Be still like a mountain - Rooted like a tree
Then move like water - Soft and supple - Gathering Qi
As your movements flow - Search for the meaning of the Tao
And follow its natural way

#19 OFFLINE   InTheMoment

InTheMoment

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 1,657 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:43 AM

Thatvwould be cool if they were already here but as wingman said highly doubt it. Does not mean its impossible though. Would love to know thier thoughts are beliefs in God and Spiritual subjects and etc....

#20 OFFLINE   Sunny

Sunny

Im a Spirit Charmer

• Spirit Charmer
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Maybe these planets that sustain human life are where we go after we die.. To our next plane so to speak? Not as cut a dried as I'm saying but... Few ideas in my head.. Have seen the galaxy when I'm up there meditating ect.. I have to point out at the time I had no belief in the galaxy except as some stars..
But I saw people walking through portholes into earth and others coming out and onto some sort of craft that was more or less see through.. Could only just make it out..
I question everything.. So not prone to believing anything told to me .. I have to see for myself..

So few thoughts in my head..

We can't be the only living beings in such a vast universe... Therefore I do beleive that there are many planets out there sustaining other life forms

And maybe some of us that have ascended do go to one of these planets that sustain human life? Or maybe in 8 billion trillion years or by the time the sun gets to the state of exploding we would have found the technology to get there in a nano second?

But it's good to know there are other planets there.. :-)

Xxx
The best and most beautiful things in the world... cannot be seen or even touched ...they must be felt with the heart...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 26 user(s)